Mathematics is a language that makes use of symbols and notations to describe numerical, geometric and graphical relationships. It is a human activity that involves observing, representing and investigating patterns and quantitative relationships in physical and social phenomena and between mathematical objects themselves. It helps to develop mental processes that enhance logical and critical thinking, accuracy and problem-solving that will contribute in decision-making.
- Senior Phase Mathematics CAPS Document
- Strengthening of CAPS GET 2017
- CAPS Amendment Senior Phase 2019
The teaching and learning of mathematics aims to develop:
- a critical awareness of how mathematical relationships are used in social, environmental, cultural and economic relations
- confidence and competence to deal with any mathematical situation without being hindered by a fear ofmathematics
- an appreciation for the beauty and elegance of mathematics
- a spirit of curiosity and a love for mathematics
- recognition that mathematics is a creative part of human activity
- deep conceptual understandings in order to make sense of mathematics
- acquisition of specific knowledge and skills necessary for:
- the application of mathematics to physical, social and mathematical problems
- the study of related subject matter (e.g. other subjects)
- further study in Mathematics.
To develop essential mathematical skills the learner should:
- develop the correct use of the language of mathematics
- develop number vocabulary, number concept and calculation and application skills
- learn to listen, communicate, think, reason logically and apply the mathematical knowledge gained
- learn to investigate, analyse, represent and interpret information
- learn to pose and solve problems
- build an awareness of the important role that mathematics plays in real life situations including the personaldevelopment of the learner.
Mathematics in the Senior Phase covers five main Content Areas:
- Numbers, Operations and Relationships;
- Patterns, Functions and Algebra;
- Space and Shape (Geometry);
- measurement; and
- Data Handling.